Comanche Acres Iris Gardens is owned and operated by Jim Hedgecock in Gower, Missouri. Jim is an active member in many local, state and national iris and gardening organizations. Comanche Acres Iris Garden has won many national awards for their plants.
Jim's credentials include:
- Emeritus Judge in American Iris Society
Honors and Awards
- 2nd Place- Florence, Italy International Iris Trials-1991
- Best Branched Variety -Florence, Italy International Iris Trials-1991
- 5th Place-Florence, Italy International Iris Trials-1993
- 3rd Place-Florence, Italy International Iris Trials-1995
- 5th Place-Florence, Italy International Iris Trials-1998
- Best Early Blooming Variety, Florence, Italy Iris Trials-2015
- 17-Honorable Mention Awards-American Iris Society
- 6 Award of Merit-American Iris Society
- 12-Exhibition Certificates-American Iris Society-Best Seedling In Show
- 14 Silver Medals-American Iris Society-Most Blue Ribbons In Show
- 2-Bronze Medals-American Iris Society-2nd Place- Most Blue Ribbons In Show
- 20 Section Certificates-American Iris Society-Best In Section at Iris Shows
- 5-Best Specimen In Show Certificates-American Iris Society
- 2002-1st Place-Tall Bearded Irises-Loomis Test Gardens-Colorado Springs, Colorado
- 2004-1st Place-Border Bearded Irises-Loomis Test Gardens-Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Best Early blooming Variety, Florence, Italy Trials, 2008
- President's Cup American Iris Society, 2009
- 3rd Place-Moscow, Russia Competition-2011
- Best Early Blooming Variety, Florence Italy Trials, 2014
- Best Spuria Variety out of Region, Region 15, 2012
- Best Seedling out of Region, Region 15, 2013
- Eric Nies Medal-2017
- Top Spuria Society Poll Variety-2017, 2018, 2019, 2020.
- First Place AIS International Iris Competition, May, 2021.
- Vice President-Greater Kansas City Iris Society-2 Years
- President-Greater Kansas City Iris Society-5 Years
- Vice President-Pony Express Iris Society-2 Years
- Director-National Median Iris Society-2 Years
- 2nd Vice- President-National Spuria Iris Society-2 Years
- 1st Vice President-National Spuria Iris Society-2 Years
- Past-President-National Spuria Iris Society (Two Terms)
- Regional Vice President, Region 18, American Iris Society-Term commencing 2022.
- Have hybridized (Bred) irises for 42 Years.
- Have hybridized and introduced well over 600 new iris varieties to commerce.
- Presently raise approximately 100,000 iris plants on 8 acres of land.
- Have introduced to commerce through our nursery approximately 100 varieties of irises for other iris hybridizers.
- Have conducted judges training sessions for other American Iris Society judges in the following cities in the last 3 years.
- Phoenix, AZ-San Diego, CA-Tucson, AZ-Dallas, TX-Oklahoma City, OK-Tulsa, OK-Colorado Springs, CO-Memphis, TN-Albany, NY-Bethesda, MD-Lincoln, NE-Omaha, NE-Sioux City, IA-Boise, ID-Jefferson City, MO-Cape Girardeau, MO-Burbank, CA, Portland, OR.
Other Iris Activities
- Have conducted numerous one-hour sessions at Kansas City libraries in the last 4 years on irises and their culture.
- Numerous programs for local garden clubs and societies in the greater Kansas City area on irises and their culture.
- Have conducted 2 one-hour sessions on irises and their culture at the General Motors Assembly Plant in Kansas City for their employees.
- Have done live radio broadcasts answering questions on irises and their culture. A two-hour broadcast KCMO and a one-hour broadcast at KFEQ.